Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Free At Last, Charlie Serrano, Free At Last.

A few weeks back, specifically December 19, 2010, I posted something about my HS Reunion and a batchmate I had an unfortunate incident with back in 3rd year.

To quote myself, "The next person who got my attention, probably the most that did, was Charlie Serrano. Back in 3rd year, he had a spat with one of my friend, Benjun’s brother (forgot his name already) and told me about it. I went looking for him to talk about it but instead, word got out that I will confront him. So he was battle-ready when we met up at 3rd floor chemistry area. Armed with a walis tambo, I called him out. But he came charging in and hit me with the walis tambo handle. I fended it off with my left arm and amazingly, the handle broke into two upon hitting my left forearm. With so much rage, next thing I know, my fist in his forehead and he was sliding on his butt on the shiny floor.

That afternoon, he went to my classroom, with a band of classmates and friends, fearing he’d want revenge, i made myself ready for any eventuality. Turns out he wants to make peace, the other boys are there to make sure he’d straighten out. Never saw him again after graduation. Though we shook hands, I know deep in his mind, he’d like to crack me up one day.

Then came the Charlie Serrano of today. Reed thin, frail looking, walking like a broken stick, head held up high like with a stiffed neck. He’s a shadow of the Charlie we all know before---the CO of the ROTC. He was built like a rock back then. That’s why it is a wonder how on earth I have beaten him on a fist fight. It was an anomaly. I was barely 85 lbs then. Nobody should beat him, hand to hand or otherwise.

It is so sad to see people, friends or foes, in such state like Charlie. I asked him what happened to him. He said he has problems with his kidneys, probably of neglect or abuse. Depleted financially, he can’t afford any medication. I fear he might be at his last thread, I hope I am very wrong. I asked him if he still remember me. He said he’ll never forget. Whether he meant that positively or not, I let it pass. I told him to let bygones be bygones. I hold no grudge and I hope neither does he. He said it was a long time ago. I am glad he sees it that way too. I was thinking of hugging the guy but at his frail state and my bulk now, I might accidentally crush him. I settled for a well-meaning handshake."

On New Year's Eve, I got an email from from Sen Lopez, all the way from Chicago, to tell me that Charlie has passed away. It has to take half a globe away for me to learn the news that I should have heard from here. I am glad Sen told me. Otherwise, I'd be in the dark before I'll know it.

We were at Pampanga when I learned the sad news. Immediately, I ask other friends if they already know and if they have plans to visit the wake. I made so many arrangements and a lot of batchmates and classmates confirmed and did went to his wake. Turns out I'll be the one left out and would missed it. 

I promised Ronnie Santos, I'll definitely pass by on Monday or attend the internment. Again, I missed it. Some things got in the way and just couldn't find the time to be there.

"Sorry, Charlie. Even on the last possible chance I could make total and full amends to you, sumablay ako." I am sure he'd understand. We've smoked the pipes of peace na rin naman during THS Grand Reunion, though paying my last respect would have been the best thing I could have done.

So now resting in peace, he's free at last. Warm some seats for us pal. We'd be there soon, though not for now. And when I do, I promise, we'll just play checkers. No more boxing or any rough sports.


Goodbye for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment