Thursday, January 27, 2011

Incurably Happy Guy

Something happened on my way to the bank yesterday afternoon. Driving along the main road of our village, I passed by a man of somewhat small height and frame, pushing a wheel barrow filled with 3 trunks of coconut tree about 6 feet long each. I could sense that the load was heavy as his neck’s blood veins are just about ready to pop.


But what caught my attention is that despite the heavy task, he was still all smiles. When he passed by a group of carpenters constructing a house, he flashed an even more genuine grin. And I thought how on earth can he still smile with such a heavy load he is moving.

Didn't want the bank to closes shop before I arrive, I proceeded.

This morning, on my way to SM Taytay to cash in on a friend’s promised birthday gift of a Philips RaGa MP3 Player, I chance upon again this man, this time trimming the bushes. I know he’s a laborer on a per job basis as I have seen him only now. Otherwise, if he’s a regular hand in that house, I would have known him a long time ago.

The curiosity in me took the better of me and the next thing I know, I am alighting from the car and walking towards him. I told him “Kahapon nakita kita me tinutulak na kartilya. Mabigat yung karga mo pero ngiting-ngiti ka pa rin!”

He replied “Oo naman, sir. Natapos ko kasi agad putulin yung puno. Maaga ako nakauwi at nakapamalengke. Binayaran ako 200 ni Madam at ibinili ko ng 2 kilong bigas at ¼ kilo na hotdog. Paborito yun ng anak ko eh!”

I thought I am gonna have a heart attack. What he told me, floored me.

Here I am, driving a car, celfone in my hand, watch on my wrist, the trappings of our generation and still, on my way to buy another toy, an MP3 player. Though I don’t consider myself empty, I don’t still consider it full.

And here he is, working in the heat of the mid-morning sun, perspiring and all, but was very happy he was able to buy a hotdog for his kid.

He just thought me a lesson, on how much pure happiness costs-nearly nothing at all!

Quite ashamed of what I heard, I went  to my car and decided to proceed with the day’s plan.

But on the next corner, I abruptly turned around and went back. I told myself “F*** the MP3! I’ll have more happiness with what I intend to do now.”

Stopping on the next sari-sari store I saw, I called him up and said “Pare, halika dito, softdrinks muna tayo!”

With the sun rays starting to burn his skin and half the task is already done, he thought, yeah, maybe he can have a break.

I gave him a bottle and he took it with his ever sunny smile, I said to myself, “This son-of-a-gun is incurably happy! He’s probably the world’s happiest person!”

Having soda and crackers together, cost me nearly nothing, he in turn gave me pure joy.

Isn’t life supposed to be simple? 

No comments:

Post a Comment