Thursday, December 30, 2010

A HS Girl They Keep Asking Me About

I shouldn’t be complaining about this. Actually, I ain't. I just found the juice to write about it so what the heck? I might as well write it anyway so that if anybody would ask me again about it, I could point them to here.



So here it goes.

A few weeks back, I went to my HS Reunion. After 25 years, I got to see some old friends. Long chat, tons of drinks and food. There are lots of questions asked about me, being MIA for quite a long time. But there’s one thing constant about their questions—it is about a girl I got involved with in high school, from 2nd year onwards. Almost everybody I bumped into is asking about her. Even people I know that shouldn’t know anything about it, knows! They kept asking me where is she, how many kids we have, why is she not around, as if I should know every detail of her.

Last Monday, my 3rd year classmates had a small gathering at Flor Principio’s house. Among the topics of conversations are the GF’s, the BF’s, etc. After each and everyone have run out of questions, they turned to me. They said I am the most secretive among classmates but still they found out my relationship with this girl. As expected, they bombarded me with questions. Leo said: “Wala kang mapipiga dyan. Kung noon masikreto, lalo na ngayon.” Flor said “Alam ko kayo ni **** dati. Kumusta na sya?”




To cut a long story short, I told them she’s in NY. Been there since 2005, from a short stay here back in 2002. Was there first for about 11 years prior, came home but got itchy feet so she went back.

It’s funny, amazing, nearing incredible why I am still in her shadows, 27 years after the fact. Not that I hate it, I just find it very uncanny that people think we would end up together, be happy ever after. Are we that good a couple back then?

Sometime in 2002, when she got back from the States, she bumped into her good friend Carol at Greenbelt. First thing she asked her is: “O kumusta mister mong si Glenn?” She jokingly said nasa bahay at nagluluto, only to tell her later I am not her hubby.

Sometime in 2007, while crossing Electra Road at Abu Dhabi, I saw a lady in a denim jacket crossing the same street. She looks terribly familiar. At the center island, I asked her if she’s Torresian. She right away said, “Hoy Glenn!” It’s Luzviminda Belmonte, another former classmate. 

First question was “Kumusta ka na?” 

Second was “Si ****, sya ba nakatuluyan mo?” 

I broke into a laughter. I told her she’s not my wife. She’s in NY now. She replied “Ganun ba?” sensing a tinge of disappointment in her reply. Pati pala dito sa Middle East, patok pa rin love team namin.



Hard to believe how high school memories are so lasting, they surpassed the test of time, at least for twenty seven years of time. They still think I am the guy they can go to whenever there is trouble and that I can resolve their spats with other groups. I vividly remember bringing home a classmate, a 6’3” tall guy at that, in trouble with a group because of a girl he’s courting. 5 of them in the corner and they can’t touch him because he’s with me. I just waived to them and they let him pass, for now. Tomorrow’s another day for him to reckon with. He lived, though. He’s working now in a hotel.

Going back, I am still perplexed with their idea I ended up with her. Could we have been a good pair, husband and wife? No one knows. It didn’t happen so I can’t say for sure. One thing for sure, I am ok, she’s ok, I am good and she’s doing well just the same. I’ll leave it at that.

1982-1985 is a long time ago. I had good memories about that era I can tell my kid and grandkids, soon, about it. For now, I have to tackle 2011. Hope it brings better luck than the previous years have thrown at me.



So if anybody would care to ask again about her, feel free to go at the top of this page. Explanations are aplenty above. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment